Basic Steps of the LANAP® Protocol
Laser gum surgery using the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) protocol is minimally invasive and uses the only laser that is FDA cleared for gum disease, the PerioLase® MVP-7™. Laser gum surgery is a safe and effective gum disease treatment for patients with periodontal disease.
- Laser gum surgery will effectively remove gum infections
- Laser gum surgery will decrease gum inflammation
- Gums will bleed less after this gum disease treatment
- Probe depths will improve after laser gum surgery
Laser Gum Surgery for Gum Disease Treatment in Vail, CO:
To begin the gum disease treatment, Dr. Dorothy Distelhorst will first assess the depth of your periodontal pockets with a probe before beginning laser gum surgery. The laser is then inserted into the pockets and targets bacteria and diseased tissue, removing the gum disease. Treatment includes ultrasonic scalers which remove calculus below the gum line. Once this is accomplished, the laser is used to stimulate the soft tissue, root, and bone during laser gum surgery. This part of the gum disease treatment can regenerate tissue, reversing the effects of periodontal disease. It also creates a clot which minimizes bleeding. The gum tissue is pressed against the root surface, eliminating the need for stitches and completing the laser gum surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Gum Surgery?
- Have you been informed that you need gum disease treatment?
- Do your gums bleed when brushing or flossing?
- Do you have sore gums or bad breath?
- Are your teeth loose?
- Do you have a fear of surgery, gum disease treatment, or dental procedures in general?
- Do you have a medical condition or take medication that precludes you from other gum disease treatment?
Any or all of these situations may make you a good candidate for laser gum surgery. A consultation will allow you to learn more about the gum disease treatment options offered by Dr. Distelhorst.
Dr. Dorothy Distelhorst, located in Vail, CO, is a Dentist who services patients from Avon, CO, Minturn, CO, and Edwards, CO. We are looking forward to welcoming you to our office and encourage you to schedule your appointment today!